Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Vintage 2000

From: Brad
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000
Subject: Paris show

Hi, Brad from Brussels contributes this cut and pasted review of last night's show in Paris...

For the first time, last night I drank from the cup of a Rich-man. I lapped up the contorted facial expressions, the self-depricating attempts at French, those marvoulous hip shaking dance gyrations, and some special silent pauses for effect.

I strategically scheduled a meeting in Paris yesterday knowing there was a JoJo gig in town. I showed up sans-ticket, wearing my suit, tie, and pointy shoes. The small group waiting outside the door thought I might be able to buy a chance at Affection when the doors opened an hour later at 7.

I slipped into a nearby pub and did a quick superman bathroom change. I had toted my briefcase and a bookbag along, laden with brown ribbed turtleneck sweater, faded jeans and my comfy 1940's football umpire shoes. (The get-up description is for Pam and Rich's info, sorry, rest.)

I downed two quick pints, making sure to leave some cash to enter. 45mins later, after waiting in the rain and chatting with some French fans, I was inside Cafe de la Danse. It held 500-800 mainly early to middle aged folks, with a smattering of other age groups. An American guy, mid-30s, two rows in front of me, was accompanied by his sharply dressed white haired mother. Another group of Americanos seemed to include a dad, a vampire gal and a teenage brother in shorts and tennys.

Otherwise, the sit-down crowd was primarily 40somethings, a decent smattering of gen Xers, mainly French. The venue was 80% bleacherish seats with a dance area in front. The opening band, Dodge Vego-matic, did surfy guitar and synthesized instrumental stuff. They were pretty young, French, and the short set was appreciated by me.

When the stage was cleared, leaving a solitary mic and amp for Jo and the little stand-up trap set for Tommy, we all got ready for some fun. JR came out smiling and strumming in an oversized white T. If my memory is right he launched into UFO man with no introduction, then followed it with a really lively 19 in Naples including beaucoup commentary in French and a great improvized confrontation dialogue in Italian.

He worked hard to speak mainly French, bantering almost entirely to the natives, with English appearing in certain song lyrics only. He played quite a mix of stuff, including some new tunes and a few Spanish ones too.

As far as I can remember it was something like this:

UFO man
19 in Naples
Let Her go into the Darkness
Give Paris one more Chance (lots of French jabbering)
Blue Moon
Pablo Picasso
Girlfriend
You Can't talk to the Dude
- a new one something about it's OK for couples to fight
- another mystery one, something about a girl preferring "faded things" and rejecting high heels and mascera
Vampire Girls
I was Dancin in a Lesbian Bar (great moves appreciated by all)
She Cracked
Barcelona
When She Started to Ride (one of my favorite horsey songs)
Important in Your Life

- - He closed with some French ones, and encored once in French too, changing into a snug black T and flexing his veiny forearm muscles a bit.

Tommy provided a few points of interest, once guffawing at JoJo when he was mid-sip on some wine, sending it spraying on the stage. Another time, he tossed his drumstick and barely caught it, then acted it up in style. Otherwise he was very low key, letting Jonny chat and do some aca-pella stuff without a beat. JoJo's chattiness gave Tom time to drink wine, which he was pretty persistent at. Jo on the other hand maybe sipped 3-4 times all night.

Rich, you are right, the impressive guitar work featured strongly in the whole evening. I was tuning in for the word play and lyrics, which came out in English only 30 percent, but anyway, his delivery and overall special approach was easy to translate. I actually got the impression that the French were craving his standards in English, noting a few crowd calls for "Affection", "Astral Plane", Neighbors" and "Ice Cream Man".

I pretty much sat by myself and smiled throughout, engaging in no conversation, but eavesdropping on the 3 american dudes in front of me. A time or two I thought I felt JoJo's communicative stare, but can't be sure. The set was shortish - but not too short. I felt satisfied and ready to see him tonight in Brussels.

-- Brad

###Note: This is a vintage post from the old base.com list.

No comments:

Post a Comment